[Digikam-users] rsync collections between two PC / without syncing the database directly

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Wed Oct 14 17:21:33 BST 2009

Salut Gerard,

maybe there is an alternative to re-analyzing all the pictures, or to
somehow also syncing the database: my approach is to have digiKam save
all the meta information in the pictures, and to just let the program
look for new pictures (and add their meta information to the database,
of course) when necessary.

So far this worked very well for me when I just used it to copy some
new pictures (with tags, ratings etc.) from one computer to another. I
also used rsync for this. I haven't tested how digiKam reacts to
pictures that are just modified, but not new. It might be necessary to
have the file modification date changed from digiKam, whenever adding
meta information (which in a way makes sense anyway, and the original
date stays in the EXIF).

I'm currently using digiKam 0.10 on Debian on my desktop computer and
digiKam 1.0beta5 on a Ubuntu 9.10 beta notebook computer. I also had
digiKam 0.10 on MacOS on the same desktop computer, but it stopped
working due to an upgrade. Part of the reason I'm not trying to
directly sync the databases is because I'm afraid of database
incompatibility issues. Another reason for saving the meta information
to the pictures is so it does not acidentially get lost under any
circumstance. It takes a lot of time to add this information, and to me
it also adds a lot of value to my digital picture collection.

Vlado

[...]

--
                                        __o
Vlado Plaga                          _o/\<,_