[Digikam-users] Import labels tree from external files

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Sun Nov 29 14:21:21 GMT 2009

jim junk wrote:
> Two more questions if you have the time.  The first is not too
> important but compared to Open streets in Firefox the applet in
> DigiKam is much slower to download images and the images are not as
> sharp.  Is that a problem on my end or is it just a problem with the
> applet.

The blurriness is a known issue, it depends on the zoom factor. There is
a patch for Marble which should resolve this issue, but I am not
up-to-date about when it will be applied.

> The second issue is much more important as I have a dialup connection
> at work and I'm not sure that the Open Streets option will be
> functional with the slow dialup speeds.  I use the Google Earth
> application at work but I'm able to run it from the cache.  I brought
> the box home and put it on the home network, were I have ADSL and
> then ran Google Earth over my area of concern so it cached the
> aerials that I need for work.  Note that I'm only interested in an
> area that's about 16 by 12 kilometres.  Will I be able to do the same
> with Open Streets?  Is there some option to have Open Streets, or the
> applet look locally for maps?

Yes, tiles are cached and can be used offline. You might want to
open the Marble application to control the cache settings first. Also,
it does not matter whether you browse the area in the Marble application
or in digikam. I think work is also going on in Marble to do batch
downloads of tiles.

Michael