[Digikam-users] How to make a new top-level album?

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Nov 15 11:01:59 GMT 2009

Am Samstag, 14. November 2009 09:57:17 schrieb Chris G:
> What I (and I think the OP) want to do is to have independent digikam
> 'collections' (if that's what you want to call them) at the top level.
>
> When I go into the Configure Digikam menu it looks like it's offering
> me a way to do this and it's certainly what I *thought* was being
> offered by this 'new' ability that 0.10.0 is supposed to have.
>
> It shows me my existing directory tree under Local Collections so
> under that I see a branch with /home/chris/pictures.  Then there's a
> button which says "Add Collection", it seems obvious to me that if I
> click on that button I should be able to add another collection at the
> same level as /home/chris/pictures and be able to select *either*
> /home/chris/pictures or the new collection.  But it doesn't work.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is what the OP was complaining about, it simply
> doesn't work the way one expects (and hopes).

I'm not sure I understood correctly what you mean, but for me it works this
way:

"Add collection" does not mean "create collection", so if I want two
collections in my /.../pictures/ folder I create two folders in there which
will contain the albums, one named "spring", the other "fall".

After that I open digikam's settings and click on "add collection" to select
one folder, then I add another collection and select the second folder. That
way digikam now shows both collections and each of them can have multiple
albums.

If I click on "add collection" the window title reads something like "select
the folder that contains your collection", which seems to mediate exactly what
needs to be done.

I did not try yet, but if you have a collection that includes /.../pictures,
it does not make sense to have another collection pointing to
/.../pictures/spring, as that one would already be contained in the former.

Sven