[Digikam-users] How to make a new top-level album?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Nov 14 08:34:06 GMT 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009, Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:01:04PM +0100, jdd-gmane wrote:
> > Le 13/11/2009 20:06, Chris G a écrit :
> > > I have digikam 0.10.0.  Where is the "config menu", there's not one
> > > on my digikam.
> >
> > please, search a little !
> >
> > next to help, "config" then "configure digikam" (bottom)
> >
> > linux digikam... if under windows, it may be on the edit menu
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I *think* that's Linux.  :-)
>
> Next to Help is Settings, is that what you mean?
>
> OK, so I go into Collections and try and add '2009', it refuses
> because I already have a 2009 in my /home/chris/pictures. !!!
>
> It *doesn't* do anything I couldn't do before in previous versions,
> all it does is allow a different way to the same place.

With the new configuration options, you can tell digikam to manage pictures in
several directories that are not necesarily all in the same subdirectory. You
could add for example a directory on a usb drive, or one on a network share,
all next to one or more local paths. Not everybody keeps all of his/her
pictures in one single root directory (with subdirectories).

So the new configuration *does* allow things that were not possbible before,
although it may not be relevant for your use case.

> I have, in Local Collections a collection called 'pictures'.  I want
> to add other collections, I can't.
>
> It simply doesn't work as it seems it should.

I have seen this as well with digikam on Mandriva 2009.0. It was fixed in
Mandriva 2009.1, so I didn't have to investigate.

If you start digikam from the command line, and then try to add a collection,
do you get any error messages in the terminal ?
That was the case with me. These error messages may help the developers trace
the problem.

Geert