[Digikam-users] field of action

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Thu Nov 12 12:46:36 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009 13.09:08, jdd wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I wonder why, when the cameras uses for now many years intelligent
> light measure, no edit program do.
>
> Cameras uses weighted zones. Some part of the image have more
> importance than other, when we use all the photo.
>
> the problem is very important for scanned images. It's very common to
> have black parts included in the image (Agfa 1950' dias had round
> corners - of course one could remove the frame, but then the scan will
> take ages)
>
> here an example: http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200911/cij0RG8CK1.jpg
>
> it should be possible to select a part of the image and then launch
> the automatic correction
>
> may be this is possible but I didn't notice it?
>
> thanks
> jdd

Hi jdd,

I ight be wrong, but as much as I understund digikam (super app!) it is
designed to work with the complete picture. If you want to apply corrections
only to parts you also want to have soft selections, layers and a lot more...
Use Gimp for these tasks.

But it is very easy and fast to crop the images in digikam and even keep the
aspect ratio. Just remove the unwanted parts and do the corrections then...

If you don't want to crop every single image of a series of scans (and scanned
them all in the same position) you can also use imagemagick within a script
to crop all together and overwright them or save them to another file name.
See: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

For more complex corrections you can use layers and masks in Gimp, even with
grayscales, gradients etc. to acchieve about any effect you' desire...

good luck!

Daniel

erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/