[Digikam-users] digiKam network collection problem (Duffields)

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Wed May 27 00:33:41 BST 2009

I have solved the problem of digikam not being able to create collections over
the LAN.

I was trying to use the digikam option of "Connections on Network Shares" and
digikam could see the files on the Network Connection but could not do
anything with them.

After spending some time in thought, I tried adding the NAS photo files using
the option "Local Collections" then pointed it to the mount point of the NAS
through to the directory containing the photo files.  digiKam created the
album just as I hoped it would.   digiKam with Kubuntu 9.04 has excellent
performance over a wireless network by the way.

I have only been using Linux for two years and don't know nearly as much about
it as I should (I have another life) but it is a bit confusing for digiKam to
offer the option to create collections from network files to which it can
clearly see links, but not mount them.  I am happy that I found the secret
and perhaps some kind of more specific error message should appear if digiKam
cannot mount a network share.

Not criticizing, just commenting.  I am strong advocate of digiKam and would
like to do whatever I can to make it easy to use for newcomers to Linux,  I
know the frustration of being a newbie.

Mac