[Digikam-users] raw with digikam and other software

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 08:35:23 GMT 2009

2009/3/17 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>

> 2009/3/16 Sylvain CROUZILLAT <sylvain.crouzillat at croucrou.com>
>
> hi
>>
>> "Impossible n'est pas français" i think it could be translate by
>> "impossible is not french"
>>
>> after you answer i have done many test.
>>
>> digikam read Tags from NX and NX read tags from digikam
>>
>> the probleme is with stars (rating)
>>
>> digikam read start put with capture NX but NX don't read stars put with
>> digikam
>>
>> i use exiv2 -pxi
>> to see diffrences.
>>
>> digikam put rating in Xmp.xmp.Rating
>> and NX put rating in Xmp.xmp.Rating and Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating
>>
>> behind i have put exemple for 12345 stars
>>

>> For zero star :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  0
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating          XmpText     1  0
>>
>> For one star :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  1
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating                 XmpText     1  1
>>
>> For two stars :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  2
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating                 XmpText     2  25
>>
>> For tree stars :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  3
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating                 XmpText     2  50
>>
>> For Four stars :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  4
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating                 XmpText     2  75
>>
>> For five stars :
>> Xmp.xmp.Rating                               XmpText     1  5
>> Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto_1_.Rating                 XmpText     2  99
>>

> ok. After to check your pictures send in private, i can said that Nikon
> developper are wrong.
>
> The official XMP tags, used by digiKam for Rating and defined in XMP paper
> from Adobe is :
>
> Xmp.xmp.Rating : as int value. digiKam set 0 to 5 as espected.
>
> http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-xmp.html
>
> Microsoft use a dedicated namespace (the second part of xmp tag name),
> named "MicrosoftPhoto", not "MicrosoftPhoto_1_"
>
> Look here :
>
> Exiv2 :
> http://dev.exiv2.org/repositories/entry/exiv2/trunk/src/properties.cpp?rev=1750line 98
>
> To Andreas : Why Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto namespace is not listed in tags
> reference from Exiv2 web project page :
>
> http://www.exiv2.org/metadata.html
>
> and
>
> ExifTool :
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/XMP.html#Microsoft<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/%7Ephil/exiftool/TagNames/XMP.html#Microsoft>
>
> And nothing else.
>
> For me, Nikon use "MicrosoftPhoto_1_" and it's an error or a bug. This is
> want mean that image rated with M$ product are not visible in Nikon NX.
> Great !
>
> Of course, i can patch digiKam to take a care about this Nikon tag...

> [...]

Sylvain, Andreas,

I have found the problem. it come from Exiv2 !!!

If i dump one of your test jpeg image, i can see this XMP content :

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Public XMP Toolkit Core
3.5">
   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

      <rdf:Description
rdf:about=""

            xmlns:xap="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">

<xap:Rating>1</xap:Rating>

</rdf:Description>

      <rdf:Description
rdf:about=""

            xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto="http://ns.microsoft.com/photo/1.0">

<MicrosoftPhoto:Rating>1</MicrosoftPhoto:Rating>

</rdf:Description>

      <rdf:Description
rdf:about=""

            xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

<dc:description>

<rdf:Alt>

               <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">(c)
Sylvain.CROUZILLAT at CROUCROU.COM</rdf:li>

</rdf:Alt>

</dc:description>

<dc:subject>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Mariage</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</dc:subject>

</rdf:Description>

      <rdf:Description
rdf:about=""

            xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/">

<photoshop:DateCreated>2008-12-12</photoshop:DateCreated>

</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

Now, if i extract xmp dtat using Exiv2, i can see:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core
4.1.1-Exiv2">
 <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

  <rdf:Description
rdf:about=""
    xmlns:xap="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/"
    xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto_1__1_="http://ns.microsoft.com/photo/1.0/"
    xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/"
   xap:Rating="1"
   MicrosoftPhoto_1__1_:Rating="1"
   photoshop:DateCreated="2008-12-12">
   <dc:description>
    <rdf:Alt>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">(c) Sylvain.CROUZILLAT at CROUCROU.COM</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Alt>
   </dc:description>
   <dc:subject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>Mariage</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </dc:subject>
  </rdf:Description>
 </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

Do you see the problem (:=))))

Andreas, i will send you, the images from Sylvain by private mail to test...

So the right namespace is MicrosoftPhoto. No more. i will patch digiKam in
this way to handle M$ XMP rating tag in this way

Gilles