[Digikam-users] Several databases with digikam

Jost Schenck jost.schenck at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 18:29:02 BST 2009

Hi,

I've been looking in the documentation (and maybe I'm blind), but I can't find
a way to manage different separated photo databases with digikam. The command
line option --database-directory doesn't seem to do what I would like to: open
a different digikam4.db, this way keeping completely separated databases with
completely separated sets of tags etc.

To explain my motivation for doing this, there are three settings I would like
to use digikam in:
- our photo collection, standard digikam use
- my archive of photos, illustrations, snippets and sketches that I collect so
I can some time reuse them as material for drawing and painting
- I would like to build up a picture database of scanned magazine articles,
using tags to sort them by different topics

Each of these usages needs a completely different classification; while creating
a scanned document archive may not be the kind of task digikam was supposed to
do, I couldn't yet find any other Linux software that will do the job better.
Of course I could put everything into one huge digikam base, but it would make
tagging very confusing because of the vast amount of different tags.

Is there a way to realize what I want to do? Would it make sense to put this
on a wishlist?

Thanks a lot for a wonderful software!
Jost

--