[Digikam-users] Upgrading for Digikam

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Wed Jun 24 15:20:48 BST 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 06:04:26 davidvincentjones wrote:
> Digikam is my most critical application that I run on Ubuntu 8.10  with the
> Gnome front end. I am operating with DK version 0.11.0-svn and KDE 4.2.2.
> (I do currently have some critical EXIF issues with this combination).
>
> I am ready to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.4 and wonder whether I would be better to
> install, right from the start, the KDE desktop for better compatibility
> with Digikam.

Compatibility is no problem. Only in next KDE version (4.4) things like
Nepomuk integration will add value.

Note that current Ubuntu packages regarding digiKam are seriously broken. Very
big percentage of latest reports were due to version mismatches in *buntu
family. Upgrading now you have high possibility of "vanished photos" bug (aka
kio-slaves incompability) - especially if you ride on svn edge. Unless you are
ready to compile your own version of digiKam.

On more personal opinion: only from version 4.3 KDE is really worth using :)

m.