[Digikam-users] Some color management questions

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:46:45 BST 2009

2009/6/15 Rainer Krienke <krienke at uni-koblenz.de>:
> Am Samstag, 13. Juni 2009 13:35:13 schrieb Rainer Krienke:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i run digikam 0.10 on my openSuSE 11.1 box. All my photos are in sRGB
>> colorspace. JPG files I convert from my cameras NEF files (using bibble)
>> are also in sRGB. In digikam colormanagement is disabled. So far so good.
>> Up to now I never had any color problems.
>>
>> Today a friend send me some JPG photos. I know he also shoots in RAW (Nikon
>> D300) and then converts these files into either tiff or JPG. We spent a
>
> Hello,
>
> thanks for you answers. In between I solved the problem. The source of trouble
> was really the ADOBE RGB colorspace that had been used for the photos of my
> friend.  I converted all of them to sRGB. The only thing I had to else then
> was to reduce saturation since all photos were clearly oversaturated after
> conversion to sRGB.
>
> Since i did not see a batch feature for this in digikam (I had about 300
> photos) I used bibble for this after all, where this could be done with a
> select all photos keyboard shortcut 1 more mouse click to adjust saturation
> and another key press to start conversion.  Now digikam displays the jpgs
> correctly and I can stay with color management turned off.
>
> I think for digikam it would be helpful to have a way to look at a photo in
> another color space where digikam should convert colors on the fly (without
> changing the photo and trying to write it to disk and a batch conversion that
> can do this for all photos at once.

In digiKam 1.0.0, a Batch Queue Manager is implemented with some base tools.

Fill a wish to bugzilla if you want to see a "Color Space converter"
in the future. And don't forget to explain exactly what the tool must
do... because we switch between bugs step by step and we become crazy
with all different situations to handle.

Please no need to be verboze. Go to essential. No need to write a book
(i remember a guy who has written around 200 lines in B.K.O to explain
what he want... the wish is purely dropped to the trash (:=)))

Best

Gilles Caulier