[Digikam-users] Digikam file management

Markus Spring m.spring at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 10:45:15 BST 2009

Mikolaj Machowski schrieb:
>> 3 cases:
>> * burn a cd - impossible from tags only
>> * create an album with for example Jalbum
>
> In those two cases definitely should be fixed in digiKam handling of tags and
> not by introducing non-portable, hackish feature.

I would not use the word "hackish" for a major feature of unix file systems.
Talking about hard links, I see it these a rather intelligent way to save space
while providing the same file at different locations. symlinks are a bit more
difficult to handle but still work perfectly at the basis of our operating
system. That their implementation in Windows is broken by design is not a
problem of the symlinks.

I am not shure if the approach to do everything from inside digikam is really a
good one. Unix grew on the principle of having small dedicated tools that could
be stacked. I do not see why this should not be valid any more.

Having a copy function that tries to hardlink and resorts to copying if
hardlinking is impossible should not break any mechanisms

> BTW - don't know how exactly JAblum works but if it can accept list of files
> from command line you can use "Open with..." menu.
No, as far as I know Jalbum works with its own file-open dialog.

>> * upload it to a printing service on the net (this is a big advantage of
>> picasa that you can do this out of the application)
Well, but until this is available an improved/speed up copy functionality would
bring an improvement for a lot of operations.

Markus