[Digikam-users] Panasonic DMC-TZ5

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Jul 18 23:35:23 BST 2009

On Saturday 18 July 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Any Ideas how to get around this? Anybody aware of this issue?
> >
> > Thank you very much for your time,
> > take care
>
> I have this very same camera....   but have been using a card reader to
> process the pictures into DK.
>
> I will try this using the cable.

Mixed results.

The first time I connected with the cable, I was able to download the pictures
from the TMZ5 and then I asked to delete them.  Everything appeared normal, it
asked whether I really wanted to delete them and I accepted 'yes'.

But after disconnecting the camera (not all the rapidly) I still found the
pics on the camera.

Ok, I reconnected the camera....  but had a very hard time getting DK to see
it again.  I would select Import....  and USB storage devices and it would
show the TMZ5, but clicking on the TMZ5 would do nothing.  But I finally got
it to show me the two pictures again after many attempts, and I selected to
delete them, and it *did* delete them.

I took more pictures, and went through the entire download, and delete
sequence again  and it did delete them.

To make a long story short, this camera (or DK,  or Kubuntu 9.04) has a hard
time connecting.  But I did get it to connect, and went through the entire
sequence.  So I don't think it is entirely the fault of the camera.   I can't
tell where the fault lies.

I do know that connecting cameras to DK hasn't been a lot of fun since about
version .8  which is why I have switched to just using card RDR's.   Add in
the fact that the TMZ5 uses a very non-standard cable,  and that's another
reason not to use the cable.