[Digikam-users] where do my tags go?

Tim Jenness tim.jenness at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:21:43 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Tim Jenness <tim.jenness at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exiv2 supports XMP metadata
> LibExiv2 = 0.18.1
> LibKExiv2 = 0.5.0
> KDE 4.2.4

Aha.

I downloaded and installed v1.0.0-beta2 to see if that had the same problem.
It did. I found this curious so I dug a little deeper. It turns out that is
possible to compile LibExiv2 0.18.1 with XMP support *disabled*  and that is
the default on gentoo unless the "xmp" use flag is enabled. So even though
digikam reported that Exiv2 supported XMP metadata it doesn't seem to have
actually asked Exiv2. Rebuilding libexiv2 with XMP enabled fixed the
problem.

beta2 does suffer from a bug though since the tags in the database are
always one step out of sync with the tags written to the file.

 -add tag in database. No tag in file.
 - add second tag in database, First tag in file
 - remove first tag in database, Both first and second tag in file
 - add back first tag, Only second tag in file
!! Does anyone else see this?

I see that the LightRoom information is written to the file (as reported by
ExifTool) but that namespace is not reported by the XMP metadata tab. I have
noticed that the XMP metadata tab does not update without leaving the image
and clicking on it again.

Tim