[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Thu Jul 9 09:45:47 BST 2009

Until now I have not seen any query that might not work.
I guess the other way around would be more difficult (MySQL->sqlite).

Startup times (especially with a MySQL server) will be faster for sure, since
the server already loads the database handles into memory).

Access will be faster, too, but unfortunately memory consumption will be
increased as well.
Right now digiKam uses 160 MB RAM on startup on my system, during a digiKam
session I mostly end up with 270MB RAM.
With MySQL the two databases will take much more memory, and especially with
the thumbsDB this can be a problem again.
MySQL caches a lot into memory, that's why it is (also) faster.

I will try to create the two databases in mysql today, import the data and see
how much memory the server will use initially.
Then I will query via a script some basic operations that I would do inside of
digiKam.

If memory usage goes high, we could have another problem again :-)
The "problem" with our two databases is that we use a lot of binary data (in
forms of blobs) in there.
When they are cached in memory, I don't know what will happen.

Andi