[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Jul 9 09:30:35 BST 2009

> Marcel, Andi,
>
> All this thread tell me that we need to found urgently a solution to
> this problem.
>
> If sqlite cannot drive large database, another DB backend need to be
> used. For me MySql sound like the right alternative, if performance
> are there of course (how to make a quick test about ?)
>
> About DB schema and all DB queries, it's really complicated to migrate
> from SQLite to MySql. SQL syntax is really different between both DB
> backend ?

I am not sure how much difference is there.
I would expect that 90% of our statements will work for both, as most are
simple.
We would need to test the schema definition, think about using the correct
character set everywhere - SQLite is fully UTF-8 so this always just worked,
MySQL may need some explicit options for UTF-8, and test with complex queries
from the advanced search.