[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Thu Jul 9 08:37:24 BST 2009

Gilles,

I also followed this thread quitly (as I still use old digikam on old kde 3.5
plus reiserfes...). But I fully support your idea to change the database
system, if this is causing the delay.

Here I have several very large MySql databases and they are very fast, but
digikam is always very slow on opening for the first time after logging in as
a user (also the newer digikam I installed in kde 4 for testing, I thought
it was kde4's fault...)

(Apart from the coding work) the only problem I see is that with MySql users
will have to install MySql too. While this is more or less one click on Linux
I don't know how it is on other systems.

Maybe there could be an option for the user: sqlite as a (slow) standard, but
working out of the box, and MySql as an option, if the user has installed it
and knows the path etc. Isn't amarok offering something similar?

regards

Daniel

erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/