[Digikam-users] Aspect ratio for slide show, any way to set it?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 17 15:51:32 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:38:15PM +0100, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/16 Chris G <cl at isbd.net>:
> > I have just set up a system to display my pictures on our big new LCD
> > TV.  After a bit of faffing about I have got digikam working and
> > displaying the pictures.
> >
> > However digikam doesn't seem to realise that it's displaying on a wide
> > screen so the slides are displayed "too fat", is there any way to fix
> > this?  E.g. in slide viewing mode can I tell digikam not to use the
> > full width of the display (thus do the opposite of "letter box")?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
>
> I dont think digikam has anything to do with it, digikam will use what
> is reported by X-Windows. It could be some settings in Xorg or it
> could be your TV. In my experience LCD TV's will often as default try
> to fill the whole screen on the TV no matter what the input resolution
> is and if the input  has a 4:3 aspect ratio it will stretch the
> picture giving it wrong aspect ratio.

It's OK, you're quite right.  For some reason when I first connected
it the PC didn't recognise the full 1920x1080 resolution of the
television. This morning when I put a longer VGA lead on it and turned
it on again it came up at the full 1920x1080 resolution and Digikam
now works perfectly.

I have to say the 'Slide show' setup in Digikam is excellent, it shows
the images at the right aspect ratio in the middle of the wide screen
with the file name in the black bar on the LHS and the navigation
buttons in the black bar on the RHS.  Much, much, much better than the
TV's own slide show.

--
Chris Green