[Digikam-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Exclude sub directory from Digikam ..

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Jan 15 16:08:49 GMT 2009

> A question on tags: I am interested to know if my (valuable) tagging of
> 8000 photos over the christmas break is reconstructable from my photo
> collection without digikam's database.
>
> So, is the entire hierarchy for a tag written to file metadata, or just the
> leaf tag?
>
> For example if I have a photo tagged as "People/Will", how is this
> represented?
>
> What if the photo is "People" AND "People/Will"?

This was always a bit problematic in the old times of digikam 0.9, but now we
fully support XMP, and that means all is well:
- we have a private XMP namespace which contains the full tag paths (tag
hierarchy)
- we write the tag name (leaf tag) to xmp.dc.subject, which supports full
UTF-8
- we write the tag name (leaf tag) to Iptc keywords. This is restricted in
length and charset, but most widely used.

Writing only the tag name to standardized fields complies better with Picasa
etc.

Check that you have writing to metadata turned on in the setup!

Marcel