[Digikam-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Exclude sub directory from Digikam ..

Dick Angus RJA-Linux at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 11 16:59:15 GMT 2009

> > > Hi there,
> > > no, it is not possible to prune a path below any top level collection.
> > > As far as I know this feature is not planned for in the future.
> > > I filter the paths I don't want to be seen in digiKam by putting a dot
> > > in front of them (hiding), that's a workaround.
> > >
> > > Gerhard
> >
> > Kubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.1.3, and Digikam 0.9.4(Using KDE 3.5.10) latest
> > versions from the repositories in all cases.
> >
> > I tried your technique of using dot files as I also want to hide a few
> > subdirectories. I had several photos with comments and tags in a few
> > sub-albums under an album for that given year. In Digikam I created a new
> > sub-album that I named Trash. I used Digikam to move a few photos to this
> > album. I didn't call it .Trash right away as I wanted to see it for the
> > move process and I wanted to keep comments and tags until I finally
> > dispose of the photos or find a way to rehabilitate them. I moved the
> > photos; comments, tags and all, to Trash and then renamed it .Trash. It
> > still shows up when I open Digikam. Obviously I did something wrong? Is
> > trying to use Digikam to preserve the comments and tags the issue?
>
> You probably renamed it from inside digiKam:  it doesn't work that way,
> digiKam knows and keeps track. You have to add the dot outside of digikam.
>
> Gerhard
>
> > These images are all .png files so I can't store things in EXIF or IPTC
> > spaces, yet. These are a bunch of photos scanned from old 35mm slides.
> > Some did not scan well and I've since learned better scanning techniques.
> > I'd like to isolate these from the better photos until I can handle them.
> > It is awkward viewing them amongst the good photos as I tag and comment.
> > TIA.

Great tip. I changed the process slightly so I created the new album in Digikam
without the dot, moved the photos, closed Digikam, used Dolphin to change the
sub-album name to include the dot, reopened Digikam and it was gone. I then
tested by closing Digikam, removing the dot with Dolphin and reopening Digikam.
The new sub-album showed up again and the comments and tags were preserved.
Exactly what I wanted. Thanks.