[Digikam-users] Fwd: Re: Exclude sub directory from Digikam ..

Dick Angus RJA-Linux at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 11 16:35:09 GMT 2009

> On Monday 22 December 2008 20:29:18 tulear wrote:
> > Is it possible to exclude some directory from a collection : I'm using a
> > Synology NAS to store my pictures and it provide also a tool to create
> > Web Album; the issue is that this tools create many folders names @eaDir
> > and it take to much time for Digikam to scan so many folders ...
> >
> > So I'd want to tell Digikam to not consider any "@eaDir" folders, ...
> >
> > Thank you
>
> Hi there,
> no, it is not possible to prune a path below any top level collection. As
> far as I know this feature is not planned for in the future.
> I filter the paths I don't want to be seen in digiKam by putting a dot in
> front of them (hiding), that's a workaround.
>
> Gerhard

Kubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.1.3, and Digikam 0.9.4(Using KDE 3.5.10) latest versions
from the repositories in all cases.

I tried your technique of using dot files as I also want to hide a few
subdirectories. I had several photos with comments and tags in a few sub-albums
under an album for that given year. In Digikam I created a new sub-album that I
named Trash. I used Digikam to move a few photos to this album. I didn't call it
.Trash right away as I wanted to see it for the move process and I wanted to
keep comments and tags until I finally dispose of the photos or find a way to
rehabilitate them. I moved the photos; comments, tags and all, to Trash and then
renamed it .Trash. It still shows up when I open Digikam. Obviously I did
something wrong? Is trying to use Digikam to preserve the comments and tags the
issue?

These images are all .png files so I can't store things in EXIF or IPTC spaces,
yet. These are a bunch of photos scanned from old 35mm slides. Some did not scan
well and I've since learned better scanning techniques. I'd like to isolate
these from the better photos until I can handle them. It is awkward viewing them
amongst the good photos as I tag and comment. TIA.