[Digikam-users] Finding geotagged images with the marble widget

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Jan 6 21:09:23 GMT 2009

Hi Gandalf,

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Gandalf Lechner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried how the marble widget works in the current digikam 0.10-svn and
> have some questions related to this. From other posts on this list I knew that
> in order to select part of the marble map, one has to use the mouse with the
> ctrl key pressed. But I got strange results:
>
> In many cases, when selecting an area in the marble widget in the left sidebar
> which does not contain any coordiantes of geotagged images, many results where
> displayed in the album view. These were images with attached coordinates, but
> nowhere close to the region where I was looking. For example, looking in
> Brazil returned pictures located in Italy. When having the marble widget in
> the right sidebar open as well, this centered correctly on the location of the
> selected image.
>
> A second issue is that I do not see any markers in the widget indicating the
> positions of the images in the current album.
>
> I therefore wanted to ask the developers about the status of this part of
> digikam: Is it still under heavy development such that submitting bug reports
> does not make any sense right now? Or do others not find the behaviour I
> desribed?

First, it is important, that you use a very recent svn check-out
of marble, because a bug concerning the geo-search is fixed there.
I checked it for one region, and it worked fine,
but that does not mean that in other situations
(southern hemisphere, etc. etc. ;-), things are broken.

Please test with current marble svn and file any bugs
(which might be either due to digikam or marble).

Concerning a more advanced of display of locations of images:
we might be able to do a bit already now, but for
more fancy stuff we will need better kml support in marble.

Best, Arnd