[Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 44, Issue 3

Risto Saukonpää paristo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 11:16:51 GMT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 00:06:05 +0100
> From: Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>
> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] OT: photo book formats and sizes

> > I have seen a provider that asks for 305dpi, while I deliver
> > printable pictures in 300dpi since decades to my partners...
>
> Maybe there is fault and he wants 350dpi? This is becoming more popular
> recently.

I think it is the real dpi what they want. The best results will be got when
using correct dpi and it is not always (as usually is tought) 150dpi, 300dpi
or 600dpi. Those can be 275dpi or others, depending from the digital photo
pixel resolution itself (and paper type, printing technology etc). I could try
to search a printing book for graphic artits where these dpi/resolution
settings are explained bretty well. Few years ago I got bad results (I tought
those were well) because I printed all with 300dpi. Then I found article about
calculating the best dpi and results were better. That worked on me with
Epson inkjet and Canon big color laserprinter.

But most important is not the dpi, but the pixel resolution ;-)