[Digikam-users] Deb file Release / step-by-step instruction for creating your own .deb (Ubuntu/Debian)

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Thu Dec 31 15:54:52 GMT 2009

Am Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:44:13 -0800 (PST)
schrieb davidvincentjones <davidvj at verizon.net>:

> Is there a date for the current release to be issued in DEB format?

If my understanding of this is correct digiKam has to be compiled so it
matches the KDE version in your distribution. Doing this for all
possible KDE versions on all the hardware platforms out there is indeed
hardly possible for the digiKam developers.

But you can either switch to Debian "sid" (unstable), which already
includes digiKam 1.0, or you can use their package as a basis for
creating your own package:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/digikam

The following works for me (running Ubuntu 9.10 on a PPC computer):

0. Install the digiKam build dependencies:
# sudo apt-get build-dep digikam
If you run a different (older) Debian system you might have to install
some dependencies by hand!

1. Download the digiKam tarball from sourceforge (e.g. using wget):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/digikam/files/digikam/1.0.0/digikam-1.0.0.tar.bz2/download

2. uncompress the file you downloaded:
# tar xjf digikam-1.0.0.tar.bz2

3. download the Debian modifications (unfortunately the link on the
   aforementioned package page links to the RC instead of the 1.0
   final, but here is the correct link):
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/digikam/digikam_1.0.0-1.diff.gz

4. change to the newly created digiKam directory
# cd digikam-1.0.0

5. then patch it with this call:
# gzip -cd ../digikam_1.0.0-1.diff.gz | patch -p1

6. make the Debian compile script executable:
# chmod +x debian/rules

7. now create the .DEBs (needs fakeroot, or you must be root):
# fakeroot debian/rules binary

If successful the last call will result in Debian packages for digikam
and showfoto being built, both in regular and debugging versions.
Compiling those two versions takes longer, of course, but I don't know
how to disable building the dbg packages, and after all they might be
useful in case something does not work as expected.

The advantage of creating packages for your distribution instead of
just compiling it and installing digiKam in /usr is that it does not
brake the distribution's update mechanism.

Good luck!

Vlado