[Digikam-users] When to Noise Reduce

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:58:33 GMT 2009

With digiKam 1.0.0, i add a new wavelets NR tool, which work in YCbCr
color space, not in RGB. This want mean taht you can use it when you
want in your workflow, without to touch colors components (especially
green, as ols version of this tool do)

In general, it's better to fix noise in first before to adjust WB and colors.

If you play with RAW, do it during democaicing. there is an option in
digiKam RAW import tool.

About Camera Noise, you can found detail in web at this place :

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-noise.htm

It explain what's luminance (Y) and chroma (C) noise, and why
Luminance noise is generally more effective in camera sensor. This is
why digiKam NR tool work in YCrCb color space.

Gilles Caulier