[Digikam-users] DigiKam website update suggestion

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Mon Aug 3 21:32:49 BST 2009

Dear digiKam website maintainer,

I hope you read on this mailing list or someone forwards my message to
you. On the digiKam website I could not find out who is responsible for
the site itself, but that is not what this message is about.

It is about the very important "download" section, more precisely about
the "second choice", "compile a tarball".

I'm writing this because of the trouble I have with the current "beta"
tarballs. Looking at digiKam's release history, with many betas in
short sequence, followed by "release candidates" it seems obvious that
betas are a lot less well-tested and stable than non-beta versions. But
that is not the case with every open-source project (e.g. mplayer, if
I'm not mistaken), and the blog-like structure of the website very much
highlights the current beta release. So I suggest putting more
emphasise on the stable version by changing a few sentences on the
tarball page:

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/download?q=download/tarball

old: "Installing a tarball will get you the most up-to-date stable
version of digiKam. But it can happen that you run into all kinds of
problems related to compiling."

new: "Installing a tarball will get your the most up-to-date stable or
beta version of digiKam. But it can happen that you run into all kinds
of problems related to compiling, especially with beta versions."

Isn't the "set of commands" to compile digiKam somewhat outdated, too?

Currently it says:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su -c "make install"

I'd change that to:

cmake .
make
make install

One should add the sentence "Make sure you have appropriate rights for
the last step", or similar.

Vlado