[Digikam-users] Question about RAW processing: ufraw files?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 00:15:12 BST 2009

Gilles Caulier ha scritto:
>> Well, this might be a nice tool, but not what is called "batch mode".
>> It's still something you call on the graphical user interface with the
>> mouse. Remember, this is not about Windows, this is Linux. So something
>> is needed that can be used from within a script file (because that's
>> what's actually called a batch mode).
>>

> well, you want batch tool in command line : use imagemagick + bash... etc...
>
> We talking about graphical interface for linux... do you know ? do you
> know a mouse to move on the screen ?
>
> It's time to learn modern computer science, especially for begineers,
> who don't know scripting. This is the caseof Pro photographers, who
> don't care about programming. These guys don't have more time for that
> !
>
> This is my goal : make GUI for non programmers... It's really more
> interresting than to write something witch run in backgroung in a
> console...

Gilles, it's OK to do GUIs for non programmers, but I'm sure you
understand that imagemagick + bash actually don't do a lot of things
needed by photographers...
Since a lot of these things are already features of digikam (I mean, the
code to do them is still there), it would be really nice to have some
way to do these things ALSO on the command line, or through some script
like other editors out there do, just like gimp does.
For example, I'm thinking about Lightzone, the -old- linux version (I
don't know anything about the new one) let you create editing templates
that you can re-use to edit a batch of similar images. That templates
were just text files, and you could edit them as you wish, if you wish
and obviously if you can.

I think that scripting and command line operation could be that
"something" more that could do the difference between digiKam and picasa
or other alternatives... that linux console thing, with scripting, could
add a lot of features to our favourite photo managing software, don't
you think?

Maybe we should leave a door open to it, even if it isn't in the to do
list at the moment...

I hope I didn't write stupid things.

regards
gerlos