[Digikam-users] Which Colletion type ?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 22:02:32 BST 2009

> I just switched today to Digikam 0.10 and I have a problem choosing how
> I should declare my photo Collection ... let me explain.
>
> I have my photo collection on a NAS, accessible through NFS, SMB, SSHFS,
> etc ...
>
> I have a workstation permanently attached to the network and on that
> workstation, I have declared my collection as "on a network share". that
> was a given.
>
> I also have a laptop on which I also have digikam installed and on which
> I would like to keep track of the photo collection on my NAS... The
> laptop, obviously, is not always connected to the network ... So should
> I decalre my collection as being on a network share ? or as being on a
> removable media ?

Use removable media for anything that is available locally but can be
physically removed: CD, DVD, hard disk, USB stick.
Use network for any network file system that can come and go, but has no
physical equivalent locally on your machine.
The reason is that the KDE hardware layer, Solid, tells us about physical
devices but we know nothing about network shares. It's very simple currently,
they're there, or the directory is empty (assuming network disconnected)