[Digikam-users] Preview and editing of raw

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:54:42 BST 2008

2008/9/29 skmg <mikhako at gmail.com>

> Gerhard Kulzer-3 wrote:

> which

> >> like

> >> whatever

> in
> and

> >> noise

> >> Hi
> >> You don't understand me. I mean preview which is generated by digikam.
> >> btw,
> >> editor must be able to reach the same colors. CR2 is much powerfull with
> >> more abilities. I just want to start with editing from the same view as
> >> preview has.
> > As I said above:
> > Usually I can achieve that (with CR2s) by importing RAWs with everything
> > set
> > to default, white balance set to 'camera' and applying a camera provided
> > profile to the result. You have to apply the same camera profile variant
> > as
> > you've set your camera to (e.g. landscape or neutral). My camera is a EOS
> > 40D.
> > But it works with the 30D too, just have to use the appropriate profiles.
> >
> > Gerhard

> usually, I have no problem with white balance. The biggest problem is
> brithness and contrast. May be, saturation. The part of image is slighly
> overexposured, but preview shows details there, halftones, and image is in
> balanse. When I open to edit whit defaults, these details disappears. These
> parts begin to be too ligthy. When I begin to play around brightness,
> contrast, I am losing halftones. So, I just want to begin to work with
> image
> from same stage which is in preview.
>
> I am using 400D. How can I import camera profiles to editor? And why
> preview
> has it but not editor?

Preview == JPEG image embeded in RAW file. this is _not_ rendered from RAW
image data.

This is why color sound fine for you : camera device firmware has processed
white balance + other stuff automatically.

RAW is different. nothing is done. you must trying to do what the camera has
done for you with JPEG, plus some variations of course...

digiKam 0.9.4 (not 0.9.3) try to do white balance + auto gamma with RAW
files. in 0.9.5 (KDE3) and 0.10.0 (KDE4) a new RAW Import tool is done to be
able to tune finelly all settings. Look here :

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/370
http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/365
http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/364