[Digikam-users] DigiKam won't open from desktop menu

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Sep 21 16:24:02 BST 2008

On Sunday 21 Sep 2008, Charles Morel wrote:
> Yes, I did use the One's add/remove feature to install DigiKam.
>
> I just went to Package Manager and searched for Digikam under installed
> packages. The libexiv2 program was part of the DigiKam package that was
> installed, along with libkipi (which appears twice in the list), and
> libkidcraw. I also noticed that libkipi was for use with the KDE
> environment.

The KDE libraries provide functions which are used by KDE programs; provided
those functions are there it shouldn't matter whether you're actually running
KDE or not!

> My One is using XFCE and was wondering if that was the
> problem. If that's the case, how do I delete DigiKam? In the add/remove
> program, I didn't see any option for deleting.

Don't delete it just yet; the Linux distribution on the One is distinctly
weird and the chances are it's not got a link set up where it should have, or
something like that.   Arnd has posted with a couple of things to check: use
the commands he's suggested (in a terminal window, if that's not obvious) and
post back the output.

I've not installed Digikam on my One as I was not planning to use it on that
platform yet (and I may have changed Linux distro on the One by the time I do
want it!).   However if you have further difficulty with finding what's wrong
I will install it and see what I can find out.

If you do eventually decide to uninstall, you use the add/remove program and
remove the tick in the box next to the program you want to remove.   I'm not
clear on whether this removes all the unnecessary dependencies (i.e. all the
libraries it loaded but doesn't need any more): it might be best to ask on
the Aspire One user forums about that.   It may be that you're better to use
the terminal again to completely remove the applications.

--
David Aldred