[Digikam-users] DigiKam won't open from desktop menu

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Sep 21 08:54:14 BST 2008

2008/9/21 Charles Morel <chazzmor at gmail.com>

> I downloaded DigiKam to my Acer Aspire One with Linux, using the Add/Remove
> software feature in the advanced desktop menu. DigiKam, along with DigiKam
> Theme Design, Gthumb Image Viewer, Paint and ShowFoto all appeared in my
> desktop menu. When I click on any of the programs, nothing happens. I then
> went to a terminal and entered /usr/bin/digikam to see if it would open that
> way and got an error message: "error while loading shared libraires
> libexiv2.so.0: cannot open shared object file. I've never used Linex before,
> and the Aspire One uses something called Linex Linpus Lite, so I really
> need step by step instructions on getting DigiKam to work.

Did you use the 'add/remove software' program (Pirut) on the One to install
Digikam?  If so, try using the same route to install a package called
libexiv2 (just put that in the Pirut search bar and the full package name
will appear).  This should contain the library Digikam is looking for, so
installing it should solve the problem.