[Digikam-users] DigiKam won't open from desktop menu

Charles Morel chazzmor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 06:35:52 BST 2008

I downloaded DigiKam to my Acer Aspire One with Linux, using the Add/Remove
software feature in the advanced desktop menu. DigiKam, along with DigiKam
Theme Design, Gthumb Image Viewer, Paint and ShowFoto all appeared in my
desktop menu. When I click on any of the programs, nothing happens. I then
went to a terminal and entered /usr/bin/digikam to see if it would open that
way and got an error message: "error while loading shared libraires
libexiv2.so.0: cannot open shared object file. I've never used Linex before,
and the Aspire One uses something called Linex Linpus Lite, so I really
need step by step instructions on getting DigiKam to work.

If it makes any difference, since I couldn't get DigiKam to even open, I
downloaded Picasa for Linex which opened and works great. Since Picasa
didn't appear in my menu, I used the /usr/bin/picasa command and Picasa
opened with no problem. Unfortunately, my Canon Powershot S410 is not
supported in the Linex version. I read that my camera should work with
DigiKam though, so I really would like to try it out.