[Digikam-users] Export question (to HTML in particular but also in general)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Sep 2 10:39:55 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:03:25AM +0200, Gandalf Lechner wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Am Dienstag, 2. September 2008 10:43:43 schrieb Chris G:
> > I want to export selected pictures from two albums to a web page (or
> > pages), I can't see any really straightforward way of doing this, am I
> > missing something?
> >
> > I can see Export - HTML Gallery but that doesn't seem to provide me
> > with any way to select the pictures I want to export.  All I got was
> > an alphabetic list of every album in my database and I could select
> > an album.  I want to select individual images.  (By the way by "HTML
> > Gallery" does it mean the program "Gallery", or what?)
>
> html gallery creates a html page displaying thumbnails of the selected
> pictures linked to (resized, if wanted) versions of the images. No upload is
> involved, ie the result is stored in some local folder. You have the choice
> between a number of different styles as far as the design of that html page is
> concerned.

OK, so that will presumably only work if I'm running a web server on
the machine where Digikam is.

>             In the export menu, there is also a button to export to gallery,
> but that's a different tool.

OK, yes I see, in the Export menu "Remote Gallery Sync" means export
to an installation of the program Gallery on a remote computer whereas
"HTML Gallery" means create a local HTML page of thumbnails and links.

Thanks for clarifying these options.

I think it could be a little clearer - as I said I couldn't find where
it's documented.

> as far as i know, one can presently not select individual images for html
> export directly. However, you can select any album, so putting the desired
> images in a subfolder and then picking that subfolder as the album to export
> in the tool does what you want. Moreover, you can select what to export with a
> tag filter. So you could also assign them a tag like "html-export" and select
> images from different albums this way.

Typically my requirement is to create web pages with a few tens of
pictures on them, but they're all different pages, quite separate.
E.g.  currently I'm creating a web page about a horse ride, next week
I want to create a different web page about a holiday, the week after
that I want to create a web page with pictures of a car to sell.  Each
time I would either have to create a new album and copy the pictures
into it and then export from there and then tidy up (by removing the
album) or I would have to tag the images I want, do the export and
then un-tag them.

Just being able to select (say) ten pictures by clicking on them and
then exporting them would be *much* easier.

I think I may well put something in the wish list, my ideal for quick
and easy export of a few images would be:-

    Select the pictures you want to export, by clicking on them (or
    maybe some alternative *temporary* way of marking them - a
    temporary tag?).

    Say whether I want them made smaller (as in Remote Gallery Sync)

    Export them to the right place, using KDE Wallet if necessary.

(By the way KDE Wallet seems pretty stupid, hope I have the name
right, it popped up when I just played with Remote Gallery Sync but I
ignored it, now it won't pop up again even though I might want to use it)

--
Chris Green