[Digikam-users] Kipi batch conversion to .png

Dick & Skip Angus dicknskip at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 5 14:31:25 BST 2008

On Saturday 04 October 2008 7:45:59 pm Geoff King wrote:
> I seem to remember having a similar problem at some time in the past.
> What happens if you individually "save as" PNG?
>
> You could also check to make sure  you have the following checked..
> Settings >> Metadata >> Save image tags as "Keywords" as tags
>
> I think that KDE4 version of digikam will help in the future since it
> will use the XMP format to save tags, but it still needs a few more
> months of work to stabilize.
>
> > I am still using KDE 3.5.10 on Kubuntu with Digikam 0.9.3 and Kipi 0.1.5.
> > I have a bunch of pictures stored in Digikam albums, commented, and
> > tagged that I had saved as .tiff. With a lot of reading I realized that
> > .png is a better choice. I used .tiff as my camera will store shots in
> > that format. I find that if I do a Kipi batch conversion to .png I keep
> > the comments, but I drop all the tags. Is there a setting I'm missing or
> > do I have to wait for KDE4 and Digikam 1.0 before I can do this safely?
> > TIA
> > --

 Geoff: I checked the Settings for Metdata and I had that switch set on. I
then did a single photo using save as and changed the extension to .png and
it has worked fine. The batch convert capability either drops the tags or
fails with a message that ImageMagick convert has stopped abnormally. I guess
for now I'll just do the occasional one by the save as and wait for a Kubuntu
version for KDE4. Thanks for the tips, they are at least a partial solution.

--
Back home again in the foothills