[Digikam-users] digiKam file browsing mode / using as image browser

Jürgen Scholz juergen at kernkraft400.com
Mon Nov 24 10:53:22 GMT 2008

Hello!

> If you would like (or have) to stick to 0.9.4 (or the upcoming 0.9.5):
> Another option (not sure if this would make sense with your mix of
> images/documents) is to
> create a bunch of symbolic links to ~/Pictures
> (or whereever you will put your main digikam directory),
> Such that it will look like
>  ~/Pictures/Job1_Pictures
>  ~/Pictures/Job2_Pictures
> where each of them is a symbolic link to the place where
> you have the pictures themselves.
> To gain any benefit from this requires to separate
> your pictures into a subfolder for each Job.
> Also note, that I haven't tested something like the above .... ;-)
I'd like to plan to change to KDE4, but since quite a bit got changed
there I'd like to wait a while before I upgrade. People annoy me if
buttons get changed. ;-)

The method you suggest could make the initial scan faster, but the
whole system would be much harder to use than. One has to create these
links - and people will have to understand that files show up in two
places (that cost me quite some time with the 3 people there ... ;-))
and when a file is misplaced one would have to browse around with
konqueror or something.

In the end this doesn't sound like a good idea for average bureau
users. ;-)

Thank you for your reply and ideas! Bye!
  juergen