[Digikam-users] digiKam file browsing mode / using as image browser

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Nov 24 08:15:28 GMT 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Andi Clemens wrote:

> On Monday 24 November 2008 00:42:29 Jürgen Scholz wrote:
> >   - Dolphin: Hasn't got the filesystem tree on the left side and
> > therefore is not an option.
>
> I will never tell you NOT to use digiKam (I would be stupid :-)), but dolphin
> can view a tree on the left panel. Just press F7 or go to the menu
> (View->Panels->Tree).
>
> After you used dolphin and came to the conclusion that digiKam is the app to
> go (:-)), you can add multiple root albums in there as Gilles mentioned
> earlier.

((This remark of course only applies to the upcoming 0.10 version,
i.e. which you would have to install from source)).

If you would like (or have) to stick to 0.9.4 (or the upcoming 0.9.5):
Another option (not sure if this would make sense with your mix of
images/documents) is to
create a bunch of symbolic links to ~/Pictures
(or whereever you will put your main digikam directory),
Such that it will look like
  ~/Pictures/Job1_Pictures
  ~/Pictures/Job2_Pictures
where each of them is a symbolic link to the place where
you have the pictures themselves.
To gain any benefit from this requires to separate
your pictures into a subfolder for each Job.
Also note, that I haven't tested something like the above .... ;-)

Best, Arnd