[Digikam-users] Filter Pictures by GPS coordinates

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat May 24 16:52:26 BST 2008

Hi Gaylord,

To be able to find picture over a map is a feature that i implement
currently with the next 0.10.0 release, dedicated to KDE4

The database schema of digiKam now include GPS informations. This is
want mean than you can geolocalize all files managed by digiKam. A new
tool to edit GPS info from more than one image at the same time have
been implemented :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/gpstracklisteditor.png

With 0.10.0 release, all Searches tools have been rewritten by Marcel.

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/NewSearchTools/

The backend to search pictures by GPS info is already implemented. We
need now a good GUI for end users to display a map with an area
selection tool as ref of search for GPS location.

This is currently under progress using Marble widget.

http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/306

Here a demo of this tool with digiKam:

http://www.river-valley.tv/conferences/lgm2008/media/0303-Gilles_Caulier/

==> go to 31:00 timeline

This tool is a GoogleEarth like implemented in KDE4 core. Marble
integration is already done to visualize GPS info from pictures. The
next stage is to improve Marble to be able to select a region of the
map and to query digiKam database. I'm currently in contact with
Marble team to provide a better Marble widget, suitable with digiKam
0.10.0 final release planed in setptember/october.

Best

Gilles Caulier