[Digikam-users] Digikam 0.9.3 problems continue - getting desperate now

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue May 20 05:17:12 BST 2008

2008/5/19 Mark Ovens <parish at magichamster.com>:
> Gilles Caulier wrote:
>> Yes, Robert give the right way.
>>
>> digiKam use Gphoto2 driver to talk with Canon camera (PTP protocol),
>> and only like this, because Canon do not support Usb Mass Storage!
>>
>> Second, Canon camera drivers is a mess in gphoto2. it's not the fault
>> to gphoto2 developpers, but the complexity to test with Canon stuff...
>>
>> If you google "canon + gphoto2 + digiKam", you will see than you is
>> not alone (:=))
>>
>> note : If you want to help gphoto2 team contact developper into
>> #gphoto irc channel
>>

> Hi Gilles,
>
> If you can recall from my previous posts about FreeBSD I tried
> re-installing an older version of gphoto2 and the problem was still
> there. But going back to 0.9.2 (even with the latest version of gphoto2)
> it worked OK.
>
> Also, gphoto2 works OK from the command line so the problem seems to be
> something to do with the interface between digikam and gphoto2.
>
> The reason I prefer to d/l from the camera rather than a card reader is
> that the camera marks the photos as downloaded so next time I connect
> the camera I can just do Select->New items in the digikam camera
> dialogue and it automatically selects only those photos taken since the
> last d/l.

ok, i understand. And only Canon cameras have this download flag.

With KDE4 port,  a new flags has been introduced in database to
identify which files has ben already downloaded from a camera. We use
KDE4 Solid interface to get ID of media.

> I'll get a card reader though as it will make life easier.
>
> Will the svn build instructions work OK on (K)Ubuntu? I'd like to give
> 0.9.4 a try.

perfect. and open a new file in bugzilla to "camera gui" component. we
will hack together. unforget to compile all digiKam using full debug
informations. look README file for details

> What Linux distro do you use to develop digikam?

I use Mandriva 2008.1 now. i have used Mandriva since a very long time
on my computers

Marcel use Gentoo and Arnd Debian.

Best

Gilles Caulier

> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> P.S. I am not criticizing you and the other developers about this
> problem, digikam is a great product and I really do want to keep using
> it, I'm getting a bit frustrated about it :(

no problem (:=)