[Digikam-users] 16bit editiing and auto-whitebalance

Lawrence Plug ljp at dal.ca
Fri May 9 15:33:38 BST 2008

Hi Benjamin and Elle,

Digikam* displays the low-res jpeg that is embedded in raw files,
both as a thumbnail and as a single-click enlarged preview. At
least it does for Nikon D300 and D70 NEFs and for Oly E-1 and E-3
ORFs. Those are all the cameras I've tried.  So I'm not sure why
Elle's step 2 is necessary? Am I missing something? Besides
digikam, many other apps display the lowres jpeg as well. As elle
notes, the embedded jpeg does have the camera's gamma and
'cookbook' recipe applied, and in my experience composition,
exposure, and gross sharpness/focus problems can be detected from
this lowres image.

Regarding step 1 --raw + jpeg-- I usually do that too, even
though the raw preview is available. It is a better criteria for
selecting which to develop.

cheers

(*applies to digikam 0.9.2  to 0.9.4)