[Digikam-users] 16bit editiing and auto-whitebalance

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri May 9 12:51:57 BST 2008

Benjamin Schindler wrote:

> The thing is... I don't know in advance which picture I'm going to
> manipulate. This means that I'll shoot everything in raw which makes
> processing every picture using dcraw extremely time-consuming.
> To me, it seems this first step is kinda hard to do nicely on linux atm. I
> wasn't able to get ViewNX/CaptureNX to work in wine,
> So this is kinda bad atm

Quoted from:
http://www.nabble.com/16bit-editiing-and-auto-whitebalance-tp16701397p17143601.html

Hi, Benjamin,

I have a few suggestions regarding previewing images before selecting the
"good ones" - I'm a Canon user, so some suggestions might not be applicable
to you.

1. My Canon 400d offers the option of shooting each picture both in raw and
as a low, medium, or high quality jpeg.  Does the Nikon have a similar
option?

2. Also, my canon raw files all contain a very low res jpeg embedded in the
file.  I use dcraw to extract the jpeg.  The command is:
/usr/local/dcraw/dcraw -e /media/process/ingest/*.CR2

That is, I have dcraw installed locally, so the first part of the command is
the path to the local installation executable "/usr/local/dcraw/dcraw" then
the option "-e" for "extract" and then the path to where the raw images are
stored "/media/process/ingest/", then the files themselves, "*.CR2" or
".NEF" in your case (this command is case-sensitive).  These embedded jpegs
are very low res, but look exactly like the default secret sauce end product
and are perfect for quick review as they load MUCH faster than a raw file.
Do the *.nef files have an embedded jpeg?

3.  Xnview is a great little image viewer, available both in a linux and
windows version.  Apparently the windows version under wine works better
than the linux version (I use xnview under wine).  Xnview can show you the
embedded jpeg as a thumbnail, and then show you a larger version.  Xnview's
renditions are very good.  I just checked and Xnview says it reads *.nef
files.

4. If you have a windows CD you can install windows in a VirtualBox - W2K
actually runs much better for me in a VirtualBox under linux than it ever
did on "bare metal".  But this is a stop-gap measure, of course, I'm slowly
weaning myself away from windows altogether.

Elle