[Digikam-users] How does one use digikam source for casual testing?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu May 8 17:20:47 BST 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Lawrence Plug wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm using the latest beta of 0.9.4 and find it very stable. It
> hasn't done anything nasty :-). I kept 0.9.3 which comes in my
> linux distribution's repositories, but never use it now
> that I have 0.9.4. Your mileage may vary of course.
>
> I wouldn't do it without backups (but of course we should have
> those anyway, beta program or not).  I have about 400GB
> of photos managed by digikam, and mainly use unison (very handy
> backup utility) to maintain a local mirror of my image tree on a
> USB hard drive, and also a mirror on my server at work. In
> addition, DVD backups sporadically.

Usually the svn version has less bugs than the previously
released version (but of course, this cannot be guarenteed ... ;-)

Independent of this, I can higly recommend the text
 http://www.gerhard.fr/DAM/ by Gerhard on Digital Assessment
management. In particular,
http://www.gerhard.fr/DAM/part2.html#Protect
may be an eye-opener to even more frequent back-ups
and data-integrity checking ... ;-)

Best, Arnd