[Digikam-users] DigiKam and Olympus Stylus 810/mju 810

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 15 08:11:38 GMT 2008

Dear Folks,

I have an Olympus Stylus 810/mju 810 digital camera that I am trying to
interface with my Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Linux PC running DigiKam 0.9.2 in KDE 3.5.8.

Thanks to Hubert Figuière's excellent web page at:

http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

I was able to access my camera and download images from it.

Before I state my problem, I will explain what happened.

The camera fails to link in USB mode with the "PC" selection on the camera menu,
  but it does work in PTP mode when "Easy Print" or "Custom Print" are chosen on
the camera menu.

The problem is that I cannot see the images in builtin memory with the 1GB xD
card inserted. Only when the card is taken out can I see the builtin memory and
images therein.

1. My first question: how do I get to see both? Is there any mode (USB or PTP)
wherein I can see builtin memory and xD card memory and the images in these two
places so that I may download them?

On one occasion when I was experimenting, the camera suddenly became available
in USB  mode and I could see both. I am convinced that this is possible only in
USB mode.

2. So, my second question: how do I get to use the USB mode?

Hubert Figuière has written, "Some models are even able to support both
protocols on the same USB interface without any switching required. This
requires disabling USB Mass Storage for the device on the OS before trying to
use control software (like gphoto2)."

I do not want to disable kernel modules to do this.

3. My third question: is there any other way to do this, using, perhaps
udev/rules, or hal, or something else? If so, can give me some pointers on how
to do it?

FYI these four camera drivers seem to be associated with these modes:

PTP: C-310Z (chosen automatically) and USB PTP Class Camera (chosen by me)
USB: C-370Z (chosen automatically) and Mass Storage Camera (chosen by me)

The latter (USB) fail with either:

"Failed to list files in /"

or

"Failed to connect to the camera. Please make sure it is connected properly and
turned on. Would you like to try again?"

Many thanks for your help.

Chandra
15 Mar 08