[Digikam-users] sony a700 raw thumbnails and preview not rotated

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:40:12 GMT 2008

2008/3/13, Markus Spring <m.spring at gmx.de>:

> Hi list,
>
> in 0.9.4-svn thumbnails and views of sony a700 raw files don't get
> rotated,
> whilst processing shows them in the right orientation.
>
> I have uploaded a raw file to test under
> http://dream.lrrl.arch.tu-muenchen.de/~springm/dsc00681.arw<http://dream.lrrl.arch.tu-muenchen.de/%7Espringm/dsc00681.arw>to alleviate testing.
>
> Shall I file a bug for this?

Yes, but not in digiKam : in Exiv2 bugzilla.

You know certainly than Minolta photo team work for Sony since 2006

All DSL cameras make by Sony since 2006 are based on Minolta firmware.

And Minolta do not use standard Exif rotation tag with camera. It set a tag
in Makernote for that. I know : i use a Dynax 5D... This is why thumbs are
not rotated.

Note : about RAW processing, as dcraw auto-rotate automaticaly the decoded
image, there is no problem in editor.

So the relevant solution is to handle Sony makernote as Minolta Makernote.
This is not yet done in Exiv2. There is a bug in Exiv2 bugzilla for that :

http://dev.robotbattle.com/bugs/view.php?id=544

Best