[Digikam-users] Installing Digikam from SVN

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Mar 8 16:07:53 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Geoff King wrote:

> Hi Dotan,
> I use Ubuntu (now alpha8.04), but the package names should be the same
> or similar.  If you are using Kubuntu, these instructions should be
> similar.  I'm not sure if all these steps are needed, since these are
> from my last install notes.
>
> You will want to use Synaptic (if it is installed or aptitude) to
> FIRST remove ubuntu's version of digikam, gwenview,
> kipi-plugins/libkipi, and exiv2 so that you can install source
> versions. You may want to install synaptic if it is not already
> installed, it is the default ubuntu gui package manager and i've found
> it the easiest and most reliable gui to use.
>
> libqt3-mt-dev
> libqt3-mt
> libqt3-headers
> libjpeg62  [this name might be different]
> libjpeg62-dev
> libjasper1
> libjasper-dev
> libimlib2
> libimlib2-dev
> libsqlite3-dev
> libperl-dev
>
> You would then build and install from source or svn in this order.
> exiv2 [I usually use the latest release] http://exiv2.org
> libs [kipi, etc - I usually use svn]
> graphics [digikam - I usually use svn]
>
> If you have been trying to install things for awhile now, you may
> benefit from running 'make clean' before you try again.
>
> I do not update too frequently so I do not use a script, it's also
> easier to see the errors and check everything.  These are my basic
> commands after you've done all the 'svn up' stuff for each
> directory...
>
> CHANGE TO EXIV2 DIRECTORY
>
> make config
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> CHANGE TO libs DIRECTORY
>
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> ./configure --without-arts  [YOU MAY WANT THIS, I DON'T USE ARTS]
> make
> sudo make install
>
> CHANGE TO graphics DIRECTORY
>
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> ./configure --without-arts --enable-debug=full
> make
> sudo make install
>

> Hope this helps, Geoff

Geoff, thanks a lot for the detailed description, I am sure
it will be helpfull to others as well.

Just one additional comment:
Personally I prefer to install additional stuff
to a separate place, which is accessible for the normal user
(i.e. no root required). This ensures, that one does not
accidentally screw the system (or the system screws
the installation ;-). Moreover, this allows
to have several versions available at the same time
(eg one for testing current svn and another released one
for production; though one has to say that svn is usually
better than the released version due the bug fixes...)

For doing this, the steps are (in script form ;-),
at http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn
under "Install digiKam in your Home Directory".
Essentially, one has to use
   ./configure --prefix=$DIGIKAMDEST
in each configure step *and* set the environment
variables, see the compile_digikam.sh script.
Of course, this is a bit more complicated, but at least
I wanted to mention it ... ;-)

Best, Arnd