[Digikam-users] Installing Digikam from SVN

Geoff King gsking1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 14:58:09 GMT 2008

Hi Dotan,
I use Ubuntu (now alpha8.04), but the package names should be the same
or similar.  If you are using Kubuntu, these instructions should be
similar.  I'm not sure if all these steps are needed, since these are
from my last install notes.

You will want to use Synaptic (if it is installed or aptitude) to
FIRST remove ubuntu's version of digikam, gwenview,
kipi-plugins/libkipi, and exiv2 so that you can install source
versions. You may want to install synaptic if it is not already
installed, it is the default ubuntu gui package manager and i've found
it the easiest and most reliable gui to use.

libqt3-mt-dev
libqt3-mt
libqt3-headers
libjpeg62  [this name might be different]
libjpeg62-dev
libjasper1
libjasper-dev
libimlib2
libimlib2-dev
libsqlite3-dev
libperl-dev

You would then build and install from source or svn in this order.
exiv2 [I usually use the latest release] http://exiv2.org
libs [kipi, etc - I usually use svn]
graphics [digikam - I usually use svn]

If you have been trying to install things for awhile now, you may
benefit from running 'make clean' before you try again.

I do not update too frequently so I do not use a script, it's also
easier to see the errors and check everything.  These are my basic
commands after you've done all the 'svn up' stuff for each
directory...

CHANGE TO EXIV2 DIRECTORY

make config
./configure
make
sudo make install

CHANGE TO libs DIRECTORY

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure --without-arts  [YOU MAY WANT THIS, I DON'T USE ARTS]
make
sudo make install

CHANGE TO graphics DIRECTORY

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure --without-arts --enable-debug=full
make
sudo make install

Hope this helps, Geoff