[Digikam-users] Installing Digikam from SVN

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:11:46 GMT 2008

On 08/03/2008, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de> wrote:
> Well, I have to admit that I mislead you with my remark yesterday.
>  To find available packages one should use
>    aptitude search qt3

I have heard of aptitude, but I thought that it is a GUI front end for
apt-get! As I learned yum in Fedora with no graphical package manager,
I only use apt-get for package management. The search feature (which
yum has) has been dearly missing for me.

>  which would list libqt3-mt-dev  (which you did install by now).
>  (The command `dpkg -l` only lists installed packages,
>  while `dpkg -L package-name` lists the files of the package - sorry
>  for the confusion!!!)

That much I did know. dpkg has no online component, so far as I
understand, so it needs apt-get to find the files for it. I think that
apt-get runs dpkg behind the scenes, from what I understand.

>  Another useful package is `apt-file`
>  (ie. `sudo aptitude install apt-file` followed by
>  `sudo apt-file update` to update the information from time to time.
>  Then `apt-file search filename` searches for all packages containing
>  the given filename!).

That is new to me! Thanks!

>  Now back to kde headers:
>  Use `aptitude search kde | grep dev`
>  which (among  a lot of stuff) lists   `kde-devel`
>  This should get you going to the next step.

I am now having trouble installing as some dependancies are in a
mirror that I cannot access:

Failed to fetch
http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-358/pool/arts/libarts1-dev_1.5.8-0ubuntu1~feisty1_i386.deb
 Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-358/pool/kdelibs/kdelibs4-dev_3.5.8-0ubuntu1~feisty1_i386.deb
 Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-358/pool/kdebase/kdebase-dev_3.5.8-0ubuntu2~feisty1_i386.deb
 Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-358/pool/kdebase/libkonq4-dev_3.5.8-0ubuntu2~feisty1_i386.deb
 Size mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?
feisty at feisty-laptop:~$

I did update apt-get, and I ran with --fix-missing. I will google for
other mirrors.

>  BTW: did you already install libjasper
>  (see http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/dependencies)

I hope that this is it. I found the name from apt-file:

feisty at feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install libjasper-1.701-1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libjasper-1.701-1 is already the newest version.

I don't remember ever installing it. In fact, I didn't even see the
dependancies page. I do try to google and RTFM before asking redundant
questions, but that page eluded me. I suppose that I am trying to get
to far too fast. I need to sit back, learn the tools (apt-*, SVN), and
go through the docs more slowly.

>  And: don't hesitate to ask!!

I do hesitate, as my goal is to take some work off the dev's
shoulders, not make the devs teach me how to use the tools that I
have. But I won't be shy. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il