[Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 41

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Sat Mar 1 00:28:35 GMT 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:15:40 -0800
> From: Duffields <dhltd at telus.net>
> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 40
> To: digikam-users at kde.org

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:38:53 -0800
>> From: Duffields <dhltd at telus.net>
>> Subject: [Digikam-users] Crash recovery
>> To: digikam-users at kde.org
>>
>> I just completed an evaluation of Photo Management applications for Ubuntu (Ver
>> 7.10) and had settled on DigiKam as the best. BUT today I hooked up an NAS to
>> see how DigiKam would perform and when I was editing some photos, DigiKam
>> stalled when deleting a photo.
>>
>> The NAS was churning madly for a long time so I re-booted the Ubuntu Box and
>> when I tried to re-start DigiKam, a message displayed "Failed to update old
>> Database to new Database format" and DigiKam would not load.
>>
>> I tried un-installing DigiKam and deleting all related data files that I could
>> find, then re-installing DigiKam but I still get the same error message when
>> trying to run it.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how I can re-start DigiKam and if this is a known problem is
>> there a work-around?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:42:07 +0100
>> From: "Gilles Caulier" <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] Crash recovery
>> To: "digiKam - Digital Photo Management for the masses"
>> 	<digikam-users at kde.org>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What do you mean by "NAS" exactly ? A network file system ?
>>

> Sorry, I hate it myself when people use acronyms and contractions when
> communicating with others who may not know the jargon.
>
> NAS - "Network Accessible Storage".  I have a D-Link DNS-323 Network drive that
> is configured with two hard drives with mirror imaging.  All my computers are
> connected to it and all the shared files are kept on it rather than on the
> individual computers.  It works well on a network composed of both Windows and
> Linux computers.
>
> I was testing Digikam on local files on an Ubuntu Box and when I decided on
> which photo management application to keep (Digikam) I pointed Digikam to the
> NAS device by changing the Digikam setup.
>
> It seemed to work perfectly until I started moving and deleting photo files.
> After deleting a couple of files, Digikam froze and the drive indicator lights
> on the NAS began blinking furiously, and access from other computers slowed to a
> crawl.  That went on for for about five minutes until I lost my nerve.  I could
> not kill Digikam so I re-booted the Ubuntu computer.
>
> When I restarted it and tried to re-start Digikam, I got the error message
> described above.  I re-tried with no success so then I tried to un-install
> Digikam, deleted all residual files that I could find that contained digikam,
> [...]
Sorry Gilles:

As soon as I hit the "Send" button on my last message, it dawned on my how to
get Digikam to restore its defaults....... Simply turn off the Network Storage!
Duhhhh, it worked.  Digikam started up with the welcome screen and asked for a
local location for the data files.

So I am running again.  Permit me to say that I have used a lot of photo
management and editing software over the years and frustration with Microsoft
and Abobe software registration restrictions impelled me to have a look at
alternatives.

I was not initially comfortable with giving up applications with which I was so
familiar but after a few weeks playing with various Linux photo applications I
believe I can do almost everything I was doing with Windows apps and some things
appear to be even better.

I expect that the new Digikam will be everything I could want when supplimented
by GIMP.

Thanks to all the developers.  I will follow its progress with great interest
and may be able to contribute as I become more familiar and comfortable with the
application.

Cheers

Mac