[Digikam-users] SVN version crashes

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:35:13 BST 2008

2008/6/24 Daniel Svärd <daniel.svard at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2008/6/24 Daniel Svärd <daniel.svard at gmail.com>:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Gilles Caulier
>> > <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>

>> > Oh, I just recompiled libkexiv2 when I updated to exiv2 0.17.1. Do I
>> > need to
>> > recompile kipi-plugins too? I thought they just used libkexiv2 to access
>> > exiv2. Anyways, if I don't recompile libkexiv2 it complains about not
>> > finding the correct library version, so that's a given.

>> > I'll try to get a back trace for you now before I fall asleep. Is it ok
>> > attach it here, or should I link it from somewhere?
>> >

>> You can attach it here. attachement size to mailing list is limited to
>> 40Kb
>
> No need for that it seems. I just recompiled kipi-plugins as well, to enable
> debugging symbols, and now it doesn't crash. It seems that this was the
> problem. I just thought that since the same version of libkexiv2 was used
> for kipi-plugins, only recompiling libkexiv2 would be enough. Clearly I was
> wrong.

yes. you just need to recompile digiKam and kipi-plugins if you update
libkexiv2...

libkexiv2 is a C++/KDE wrapper around Exiv2. kipi-plugins and digiKam
use it to play with metadata. If binary compatibility is preserved no
need to re-compile clients program. This is the goal of a shared lib.

In current libkexiv2 implementation, i have increased the BC again...

> So in short (if anyone else suffers the same problem): upgrade exiv2 to
> 0.17.1, recompile libkexiv2 0.1.7, recompile kipi-plugins 0.1.5 and it
> should work.
>
> Anyway, now it's working, so I'm happy. Thank you Gilles for your quick
> replies and I'm sorry for wasting your time. You're doing a great job with
> Digikam.

No problem. And thanks.

Gilles