[Digikam-users] Digikam on eeepc

Gerry Patterson thedeepvoice at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:52:21 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Chiz Dakin <peakimages at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>  Hi
>

> Just been trying to install digiKam on my new eeepc, and discovered that
> the package version is only 0.8.
>

> I see that the latest stable version is 0.93, but when I try to install it
> following the standard tarball destructions on your website, it whinges
> that there isn't a valid C compiler.
>

> A Digital Asset Manager is the one critical app that isn't on the eeepc as
> standard, and that I need to have (for viewing canon 5D and G9 raw files to
> decide which are the keepers, to add iptc data (eg captions, keywords,
> copyright info) and to rename the keepers) for working away from the studio.
> As it stands v 0.8 of digiKam doesn't have enough functionality, but it
> looks like v 0.9x should have much of the missing IPTC/batch keyword tagging
> I need… but if I can't get it to install, then I may be forced into going
> down the XP install to get a wider choice of DAM software that can provide
> this functionality.
>

> Please save me from XPing my eee! I've only been using linux since getting
> the eeepc a couple of days ago, but would like to keep it running linuxrather than
> windoze if possibleJ

Hello,

The default distribution that is installed on the EeePC is called Xandros.
You are correct, they have an older version of digikam in their
repository.   There are a few community built distributions that can be
installed on the EeePC.  They are more up to date and have more recent
versions of digikam in their repositories.  I have not done this myself yet
and wouldn't necessarily recommend that procedure to some unfamiliar with
GNU/Linux in general.

However, if you want to learn take a look at this link:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

This was done specifically for the 701 so I don't know how it would relate
to newer model  EeePcs

- Gerry