[Digikam-users] trying to install 0.9.4

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Jul 19 05:57:13 BST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Martin Fisher wrote:

> Hello All
>
> Following the discussion today and my eventual success at installing
> 0.9.4 on Ubuntu 8.04 (not Kubuntu) I have attempted to retrace my steps
> to determine which packages were required to enable me to compile 0.9.4

This will surely be helpful to others on both ubuntu (and kubuntu),
please add this to the wiki (see below at the end).

> I did this by installing digikam, using apt-get autoremove and other
> things, installing digikam 0.9.3 and then using sudo apt-get build-dep
> digikam (for 0.9.4), and the result is below. I doubt that it is
> complete (e.g. I think that at an early stage I had to install a
> compiler but I did this by hit and miss and I don't remember the
> details) but I post it here in case it is of any use to anybody.
>
> Digikam is a fantastic piece of software and I think it is a pity that
> it is not available in a Gnome version (f-spot does not even come
> close).

Well, it is Digi*K*am (and not Digi*G*am or so ....;-), i.e.
it uses a lot of the KDE infrastructure which makes
many of the features possible.

> I have no idea how one would do such a thing but I thought I
> would mention it anyway...

On this point I am sure that I can speak for all digikam-devels:
there will never be a DigiKam Gnome version!
And I really don't understand the need for that,
desktop is one thing, applications are another.
I happily mix Gnome and KDE style applications on a neither-KDE
nor-Gnome desktop. All works fine.

> With more facilities for handling RAW files

What facilities are you missing? Please file the corresponding
wishes in the bug-tracker (but make sure that they are
not already mentioned), see
http://www.digikam.org/drupal/contrib

> (or a plugin to pass the files to rawtherapee?)

You can use kcontrol to add any application as a programm
to appear for a right-mouse-click under "Open with".

> it would be the best
> Linux photo workflow software.
>
> Tchau, Martin
>
> p.s. BTW, I couldn't fine a README file anywhere

  tar xjf ~/Desktop/digikam-0.9.4.tar.bz2
  less  digikam-0.9.4/README

> digikam cryptsetup  kdebase-bin kde-devel kdebase-bin-kde3
> kdebase-kio-plugins   kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdesktop libarts1c2a
> libavahi-qt3-1   libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libkdcraw3 libkexiv2-3 libkipi0
> libkonq4 liblua50   liblualib50 gettext-kde hspell kdelibs4-dev
> kdesdk-scripts libacl1-dev libart-2.0-dev libarts1-dev libartsc0-dev
> libasound2-dev libaspell-dev libattr1-dev libaudiofile-dev
> libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libavahi-qt3-dev libbz2-dev
> libdbus-1-dev libesd0-dev libglib2.0-dev libidn11-dev libjasper-dev
> libkdcraw-dev libkexiv2-dev libkipi0-dev liblua50-dev liblualib50-dev
> libogg-dev libopenexr-dev libpcre3-dev libpcrecpp0 libsasl2-dev
> libssl-dev libvorbis-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev lua50
>
> digikam-doc khelpcenter
>
> kipi-plugins libkcal2b libkdepim1a libktnef1
>
> kipi-plugins-doc

Could you add a new page (e.g.) "Packages for compilation from source"
in the wiki: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=digikam
and add the above list
(e.g. under a heading "Ubuntu hardy and digikam 0.9.4").

Many thanks,

Arnd