[Digikam-users] 0.9.3 & Canon 400D: No thumbnails, then segfaults

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Mon Jan 28 23:10:44 GMT 2008

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> I don't know FreeBSD, but usually you will have
> to compile everything from source, and enable debugging for each package.
> See:
>   http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn
>   ("Install digiKam in your Home Directory")
> together with
>   http://www.digikam.org/?q=contrib
>   "If you are experiencing crashes with digiKam"

OK, I've built a debug version of 0.9.3, but it doesn't seem to produce
a core file and if I run it from within  gdb then gdb itself core dumps
(and does produce a core file):

/home/mark{102}# gdb /usr/local/bin/digikam
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/digikam
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
/home/mark{103}#

If I start digikam normally, the KDE Crash Handler catches it but
displays this message:

   This backtrace appears to be of no use.
   This is probably because your packages are built in a way
   which prevents creation of proper backtraces, or the stack
   frame was seriously corrupted in the crash.

   Segmentation fault (core dumped)

and I can't find a core file (does the KDE Crash Handler delete it
because it is of no use?).

The binary is definitely a debug version:

/home/mark{104}# file /usr/local/bin/digikam
/usr/local/bin/digikam: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Also, if I start digikam, then attach gdb to it, gdb dumps core when
the same happens:

(gdb) attach 14711
Attaching to program: /usr/local/bin/digikam, process 14711
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libdigikam.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libdigikam.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.8...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.8
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkabc.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkabc.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libvcard.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libvcard.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkresources.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkresources.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkhtml.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkhtml.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkjs.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkjs.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libpcreposix.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libpcreposix.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libthai.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libthai.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkipi.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkipi.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkutils.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkutils.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libjasper.so.4...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libjasper.so.4
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libkexiv2.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libkexiv2.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libexiv2.so.0...Segmentation fault
(core dumped)

Is this a clue as to the root of the problem?

Regards,

Mark